Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Baked Onion Straws

I decided to change over my previous blog to this blog. You can still find me over a at twodaisiesandanelephant.blogspot.com. However, most of my blog posts from there will be transferred over to this one. So, at times you may see the "twodaisiesandanelephant" logo going across many of the photos. No worries, it is me. I promise.

The other night I decided that I wanted some onion straws. I have no clue why I was craving them, but I wanted them. So, I decided to take the rest of an onion and make some. My absolute first time making them and they turned out pretty good.
All you need: 

- an onion (whole or left over) - I had half of one left and it made quite a bit.
- 1/2 cup of bread crumbs 
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 2 eggs
- 3 bowls
- baking sheet
- fork (to scramble eggs)
- old bay seasoning (any other seasoning you feel like adding)
- salt

Directions:

Heat the oven to 400 degrees. 

Line up your three bowls and place your pan at the end. 

Add 1/2 cup of flour into bowl.

Add 1 egg into one bowl. (add other egg when wash becomes low)

Add part of the 1/2 cup of bread crumbs into the last bowl. Sprinkle with old bay seasoning. (add the rest of the bread crumbs when it begins to clump)

** You're adding half because you will need more as the dry ingredients begin to clump **

Take your mandolin/knife and cut your onion into thin slices --- but not to thin!


Once you've sliced your onions. Begin by placing a few of your onions into the flour mixture.


Coat the onions well.

Then dip into your egg wash.

Then coat with bread crumbs/old bay seasoning.

Place on pan. 

Continue to do this until you have used your entire onion. 

Cook for 7 minutes. Check it. Flip over. Cook for another 7 minutes. 

Watch very closely.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment