Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Simple Mac & Cheese


Several months ago right after a major winter storm and a several day power outage we came home to some spoiled milk and a few other items. Even though our house was like an icebox and we never opened the fridge it still happened. Unfortunately, we live about 30 minutes from the nearest store; so, we have to make do until we go into town.

Well, last night I wanted some mac & cheese and figured I could make it without the milk. My husband kept contesting that fact. I tried anyways. Since my idea didn't work, we went with his. He suggested using evaporated milk. All I could think of was great this is going to taste really funky.

Ha! I was completely wrong!! It actually gave it a nice sweet taste.

You want to know how to make it, right? Well, here's what you need...

12 ounces of Velveeta Block Cheese (or any other brand, even name brand, your choice)
1/3 cup of Evaporated Milk
2 cups of Elbow Macaroni

Directions:

  1. I boiled the water at high and added the macaroni once it completely boiled
  2. Once the macaroni was done, I drained it and placed it back in the pot with the burner on medium.
  3. Now, I added the cheese 4 ounces at a time. This helped to melt it a little better.
  4. As the cheese began to melt, I added the 1/3 cup of evaporated milk. Continuously stirring until it had combined.
  5. Once it was all done we enjoyed it with a TON of leftovers! 
~*~ Also, it heats up very nicely in the microwave ~*~

Just a simple substitution with an item that we had lost and I must say it worked out very well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment